Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Manager for Tanzania MUM Activity
The USAID funded Maji na Usafi wa Mazingira (MUM) project in Tanzania, implemented by Tetra Tech International Development (www.tetratech.com/intdev), is currently accepting expressions of interest for a Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Manager. This position will be located in the main office in Iringa, Tanzania.
Position Description/Summary: Based in Iringa office and under the supervision of the COP, the full-time MEL Manager will be responsible for the development, management, continuous improvement and expansion of the MEL function within MUM. The MEL Manager will work directly with all technical and managing supervisors and other members of the technical team or their designees as directed. The MEL Manager will have overall responsibility for ensuring comprehensive implementation of the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan (MEL Plan) and will supervise one MEL Specialist.
- Lead implementation of quarterly review and annual Pause and Reflect sessions to review progress and discuss adaptations, using data for indicators and qualitative data from interactions and discuss Learning Questions with partners and beneficiaries to inform work plans.
- Build capacity among staff, partners, and other stakeholders in the area of MEL. The Specialist will provide the COP with monthly and quarterly progress reporting, including activities planned for the next quarter, in accordance with the approved work plan.
- Work with project staff and partners to measure success towards the project's theory of change and implement the MEL Plan in order to track progress towards achievement of project goals and intermediate results.
- Supervise and provide oversight of M&E staff (one MEL Specialist) including delegating responsibilities, following-up on work plans, and leading the team to meet all expectations of the MEL Plan.
- Provide oversight and leadership in development, testing, training and implementation of a variety of data collection tools and systems.
- Assist with the production of monitoring and evaluation (M&E) reports for MUM according to the schedules required by the project.
- Provide quality control for the collection, analysis and reporting of indicator data including regular data quality checks.
- Ensure that MUM technical staff, consultants, grantees, partners, and subcontractors provide timely, accurate and reliable qualitative and quantitative data.
- Ensure that accurate and complete physical/hard and/or electronic copies of all M&E records are maintained, in accordance with the Tetra Tech filing policy.
- Compile and analyze MUM results for success stories, reports, and presentations, including collaboration with the Communications Specialist, PMT, and other technical staff.
- Provide training and capacity building to MUM staff and grantees to ensure compliance of data quality standards.
- Coordinate with project team on any geospatial analysis or mapping and provide the information for key learning activities and events.
- Provide support and management in using and maintaining cloud-based data management system.
- Coordinate internal reviews and modifications to the MEL Plan that may arise as a result of project-learning, or USAID-required changes to the MUM Task Order; track and implement revisions to the approved comprehensive MEL plan.
- Coordinate with Tetra Tech Home Office MEL team on all aspects of updating and implementation of MUM MEL Plan and MEL Systems.
- Work closely with technical managers to ensure program activity achievements and outcomes are fully documented throughout implementation, monitoring, and learning.
- When requested, represent MUM at USAID and other periodic M&E workshops.
- Ensure compliance with submissions to USAID’s Development Data Library (DDL) and Digital Information System (DIS).
- Other duties as assigned by the COP.
- Master's degree or equivalent and 7 years in relevant field OR Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and 10 years in relevant field. Relevant degree in monitoring and evaluation, natural resources management or a related field.
- Experience working in monitoring and evaluation in rural water supply, sanitation, and natural resources management in Tanzania and/or East Africa. Experience in building and effectively supervising a diverse team of employees. Experience building capacity of local organizations. Exceptional, demonstrated management, organizational, conceptual, strategic, and analytical skills in monitoring, evaluation and learning. Experience as M&E team leader on similar donor funded projects in Tanzania is desired.
- Excellent knowledge of best practices of monitoring, evaluation and learning on USAID projects. Must be extremely detail oriented.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of social awareness on sensitive issues.
- Ability to multi-task effectively and prioritize with competing deadlines and priorities.
- Strong organizational skills with excellent ability to analyze and understand complex water, sanitation, and natural resources management projects at both high- and detailed-levels.
- Able to build and maintain excel files with standardized formula to calculate results accurately. * Experience working closely with a variety of individuals and organizations, including Tanzanian and US government officials, local communities, local NGOs, consultants, international agencies and donor organizations.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills, creative problem solving and ethical management.
- Be a team member, ethical, reliable, and self-motivated. Be transparent and proactive when problems arise. Able to multi-task and efficiently respond to the needs of the project and technical staff.
- Strong command of the English and Kiswahili Languages (written & oral).
- Tanzanian nationals strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the on-line process:
- Cover Letter
- CV in reverse chronological format
Please indicate where you saw Tetra Tech’s IDS ad posted.
Apply on-line at: https://bit.ly/MEL_Manager_MUM
Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. Please ensure that all necessary documents are uploaded and submit only the requested documentation as part of your application. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
At Tetra Tech, health and safety play a vital role in our success. Tetra Tech’s employees work together to comply with all applicable health & safety practices and protocols, including health orders and regulations related to COVID-19 that are mandated by local, state, and federal authorities.
Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in more than 550 locations around the world. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees — 27,000 associates working together to provide smart, scalable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability. If you need a reasonable accommodation with your application process, contact our Global Talent Operations team.